Arrow Video is pleased to announce the UK Blu-ray debut of Brian De Palma’s erotic crime thriller DRESSED TO KILL.
One of De Palma’s best loved films, DRESSED TO KILL has been lovingly re-mastered by MGM studios, and will finally be available uncut and on blu-ray for the very first time in the UK. Arrow’s deluxe edition of the film will come loaded with an exclusive selection of special features and bonus material.
Best known for his psychological and often violent thrillers, De Palma’s use of split-screens, slow panning shots and Hitchcockian suspense have made his films instantly recognisable. Alongside DRESSED TO KILL, some of De Palma’s most revered works include Scarface, Carrie, Blow Out, The Untouchables and Mission: Impossible.
De Palma has proved hugely influential, inspiring many modern-day film makers to get behind the camera; Quentin Tarantino hails De Palma as the greatest living American director. Also known for discovering and nurturing new acting talent, De Palma is widely credited with fostering the early careers of Robert De Nero and John C. Reilly.
Starring legendary British actor Michael Caine (The Italian Job, Get Carter) alongside Nancy Allen (Carrie, Blow Out) and Angie Dickenson (Point Blank, The Killers), DRESSED TO KILL begins as sexually frustrated housewife Kate Miller (Dickenson) consults her psychiatrist about her husband’s lacklustre performance in the bedroom. Following the session with Dr Elliot (Caine), Kate silently seduces a stranger in a New York Art gallery, before going back to his place. Upon leaving the man’s apartment, Kate is brutally murdered in the elevator; the only witness is high-end prostitute Liz Blake (Allen), who is in-turn accused of the murder. One of De Palma’s darkest and most controversial suspense thrillers, DRESSED TO KILL was as acclaimed for its stylish set-pieces and lush Pino Donaggio score as it was condemned for its sexual explicitness and extreme violence.
The glee with which De Palma turns this material inside out is completely infectious, as he delves deep inside the troubled psyches of his characters (critic Pauline Kael said that the film was “permeated with the distilled essence of impure thoughts”) in order to undermine expectations at every turn.
Following Obsession and Blow Out, DRESSED TO KILL is the third film in Arrow Video’s De Palma Collection. Restored Blu-ray editions of Sisters, Phantom Of The Paradise and The Fury will follow in 2013/14.
One of the greatest film directors of his generation, Brian De Palma’s inspirational career spans 40 years and includes commercial and critical successes in each decade since the 1970s. Alongside the likes of Martin Scorsese, Francis Ford Coppola and William Friedkin, De Palma was part of the so-called “New Hollywood” movement which ruled tinsel town throughout the ’70s and ‘80s.
A complete list of the special features included on the deluxe blu-ray edition of DRESSED TO KILL is as follows:
– High Definition Blu-ray (1080p) presentation of the feature.
– Optional original uncompressed Mono 2.0 Audio and DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 Surround Sound.
– Optional English SDH subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing.
– Symphony of Fear: Producer George Litto discusses his working relationship with Brian De Palma.
– Dressed in White: Star Angie Dickinson on her role in the film.
– Dressed in Purple: Star Nancy Allen discusses her role in the film.
– Lessons in Filmmaking: Actor Keith Gordon discusses Dressed to Kill.
– The Making of a Thriller – A documentary on the making of Dressed to Kill featuring writer-director Brian De Palma, George Litto, stars Angie Dickinson, Nancy Allen, Dennis Franz and more!
– Unrated, R-Rated, and TV-Rated Comparison Featurette.
– Slashing Dressed to Kill – Brian De Palma and stars Nancy Allen and Keith Gordon discuss the changes that had to be made to avoid an X-rating.
– Original Theatrical Trailer.
– Gallery of behind-the-scenes images.
– Reversible sleeve with original and newly commissioned artwork by Nathanael Marsh.
– Collector’s booklet featuring new writing on the film by critic and author Maitland McDonagh, and a new interview with poster designer Stephen Sayadian by Daniel Bird, illustrated with original archive stills and promotional material.
View the trailer here – http://youtu.be/gCtgYXWVk9U
|Director||Brian De Palma|
|Starring||Michael Caine, Nancy Allen, Angie Dickenson|
|Audio||2.0 Mono PCM / 5.1 DTS-HD Master Audio Colour|