Ms. Magnificent (Desiree Cousteau, Pretty Peaches) does two things well…one of them is fly! When mild mannered LA Times reporter, Linda Kent, discovers that her intergalactic arch nemesis, Kreeta Borgia (Jesie St. James) has landed on earth (in a Safeway parking lot) and has begun kidnapping people, including her boyfriend, for use in her diabolical plans for world sexual domination, Linda transforms into her alter ego, Miss Magnificent, out to save the day and use her super sexual powers to defeat Kreeta, while rescuing her boyfriend in the process. But when Kreeta learns of Miss Magnificent’s valiant efforts to combat her, she becomes determined to destroy the fearless superhero or, at least, seduce her.
A notorious and controversial superhero spoof that fell victim to a lawsuit resulting in its original point of reference being censored, MS. MAGNIFICENT is an endearingly sleazy and funny tribute to 1930s and 40s serials funnelled through late 70s pop culture based humour, and featuring supporting performances from Sharon Kane, Holly McCall, and Mike Horner. Vinegar Syndrome brings this cult favourite to DVD fully uncut (albeit still ‘censored’), newly restored from 16mm archival elements.
Directed by: Joe Sherman
1979 / 80 minutes / Color / 1.33:1 OAR
Cast: Desiree Cousteau, Jesie St. James, Sharon Kane, Holly McCall, Mike Horner, Starr Wood, Liza Dwyer
• Region free DVD
• Scanned & restored in 2k from 35mm archival elements
One of the most iconic, notorious, and influential American films of the 1970s, Melvin Van Peebles’ SWEET SWEETBACK’S BAADASSSSS SONG stars Van Peebles as Sweetback, a black orphan raised in a brothel and groomed into becoming a sex show performer. Set up by his boss and two corrupt white policemen for a murder he didn’t commit, Sweetback escapes custody only to find himself thrust into an increasingly hallucinogenic world of violence and bigotry where no one can be trusted and the possibility of death lurks at every corner…
Considered to be among the most significant features ever directed by a black filmmaker and included in the permanent collection of The Museum of Modern Art, SWEET SWEETBACK is a brutal and shocking story of survival and is credited as the first ‘blaxploitation’ film ever made. Featuring a rousing score from a nascent Earth, Wind, & Fire as well as surrealist tinged visuals from cinematographer Robert Maxwell, Van Peebles creates an unforgettable and immersive study of perseverance in the face of racism. Vinegar Syndrome proudly brings this landmark film to Blu-ray, newly restored in 4K from its original 35mm camera negative.
Directed by: Melvin Van Peebles
1971 / 97 minutes / Color / 1.85:1 OAR
Starring: Melvin Van Peebles, Simon Chuckster, Hubert Scales, Mario Van Peebles, John Dullaghan, Wesley Gale, Niva Ruschell, John Amos, Lavelle Roby.
• Region free Blu-ray/DVD combo
• Newly scanned and restored in 4k from 35mm original camera negative
• Career interview with Melvin Van Peebles, courtesy of Olumide Productions
• “One Baadasssss Woman!” – an interview with Niva Ruschell (actress)
• Extensive Q&A from the 2013 Black Panther Film Festival at the Maysles Center in Harlem
• “The Real Deal (What it was…is!)” – archival ‘making of’ doc by Melvin Van Peebles
• Historical commentary track with Sergio Mims (assistant director of PENITENTIARY)
• Archival still gallery
• Trailers for: SWEET SWEETBACK, STORY OF A THREE-DAY PASS & DON’T PLAY US CHEAP
• Extensive booklet essay by Travis Crawford
• Limited edition slipcover designed by Earl Kessler Jr. (2,000 units)
• Reversible cover
• English SDH subtitles
aka Tenebre, Unsane
Italy / 1982
Starring: Anthony Franciosa, Christian Borromeo, Mirella D’Angelo, Veronica Lario and John Saxon.